In addition to their pleasant song and their beautiful colors, garden birds are precious allies of the gardener. Just a few touches are required to have the pleasure of seeing them settle in your garden.
Welcoming the birds all year round requires a little vigilance
- In the winter season, the feeders and nest boxes must be in place.
- In freezing weather, just make sure to replenish the drinkers with lukewarm water or slide under a pre-heated brick to prevent the water from freezing too quickly.
- When possible, move the feeders frequently to reduce the risk of contagion, favored by the concentration of birds on the same point, or disinfect them with bleach.
- In the spring, you will store the removable items in a storage after cleaning and disinfecting them.
- If necessary, re-paint or varnish non-removable wooden elements to increase their life.
A year of care
In the fall, it is prudent to plan a food supply for the birds.
- The weather being unpredictable, it requires to have something to immediately offer food to those who are weakened by bad weather.
- Also let some seed plants grow, wild or cultivated, at their disposal.
- You will cut the tufts of dry stems at the end of the winter.
- Clean the nest boxes early in the fall, as this late operation may disturb birds that have already settled there.
- Finally, prepare the locations of the feeders by cutting the vegetation so as to offer them an unobstructed view.
- And if cats frequent your garden, install systems that prevent cats from climbing trees or poles where your nest box is placed.
On the menu for the birds of the garden
- Oleaginous seeds (sunflower, peanut, hazelnut …) are the staple food for all birds.
- Seeds of various cereals (millet, millet, rice, maize …) are especially suitable for granivores.
- Fruits (apple, pear …) placed on the ground: for blackbirds and thrushes. The dried fruit, softened in water, attract warblers, robins, tits.
- Kitchen waste little salty (bread or cake crumbs, potato, pasta, meat, ham fat …) in addition.
Make your own fat balls
Blend unsalted fat (margarine, lard …) with cereals. Make a ball and put it one night in the refrigerator. Place it in a closed net with string. Suspend.
Also read: “Feeding all the birds in the garden”
The various birds of the garden (depending on your region):
The mouchet accent
The elegant goldfinch
The thrush musician
The blue tit
The great tit
The house sparrow
The Great Spotted Woodpecker
The chaffinch of the North
The familiar robin
The cute troglodyte
The greenfinch of Europe
Here, you will find a website will all the birds in the world, sorted by region: http://www.birdlist.org/site/regions.htm